Wednesday, February 13, 2019

I quilted this on a domestic. Free motion quilted. One of many.

machine quilting, custom quilting
While I've been quilting on a longarm for only about a year now, I have been free motion quilting on a domestic for a number of years. 
This quilt is a Jinny Beyer design. I pieced this myself. Then quilted it. It's a queen size. 

Quilting on a domestic taught me much. Patience and control top the list.

I think the biggest difference between quilting on a domestic and quilting on a longarm, is that quilting on a longarm is much faster. I had no idea. For instance, this quilt took me a week to quilt on a domestic. But probably would have only taken about 8 to 10 hours to quilt on the longarm. 



 
It looks like a mess, but let's say it's an organized mess. It's really very do-able. I spray baste all the quilts I do/did on my domestic. And I quilt from the outside in. I know that's different than what other quilters say, but I think that if you're gonna stuff, wad, crumple that sandwich under the throat of your machine, it will do better if that part has already been quilted. I've done a couple dozen quilts like this, very successfully.
quilts by hannelore, machine quilting, quilting on a domestic, custom quilting 
custom quilting, jinny beyer border, longarm quilting, machine quilting bordersI did a lot of various feathers on this quilt. Mostly in the black fabric areas in and around the blocks. In the sashings and borders I ourlined the motifs in the border prints. These are all Jinny Beyer fabrics. I love her border prints. And because I think feathers and curves go great together with straight line work, I did some ruler work in one of the black borders. 


This was a fun quilt to make.
It is for sale. Check it our in my etsy shop.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Raw Edge Appliqué Fairy Quilt with free motion quilting

I had so much fun quilting this whimsical fairy quilt (48" x 76") for my customer.  All the applique is raw-edge and fu...